One of the questions women have after investing in virgin hair bundles from companies like Harlem Hair Company is: How do I care for them properly?
Because these types of hair bundles are free from any chemicals, they are a bit different to care for compared to synthetic or treated hair. You’ll want to make sure you use the right products and go through the proper process to keep it looking and feeling smooth.
Read on to learn how to properly care for virgin hair so it looks amazing throughout.
- Before Installation
Make sure your virgin hair is washed before installing it. As the hair is being washed, one can identify any issues with the bundles and have them replaced as needed.
Your hairstylist will do the washing and installation process for you, ensuring that they take great care of the virgin hair throughout the process.
- How to Maintain Virgin Hair
Once your virgin hair is installed, the next step is to maintain it to last and look beautiful for the long term. Here are maintenance tips depending on the type of hair you have:
Loose curly or soft kinks
- Use a moisture-rich conditioner then comb your hair, starting with the ends. Work your way up to your scalp. Leave the conditioner for at least 15 minutes and do not massage the hair.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly and scrunch your hair gently, which can enhance your curls. While it’s damp, apply a small amount of anti-frizz and alcohol-free hair serum. You can use a curl cream if you have soft kinky hair.
- Never use oil products or use too many hair care products on curly hair, since this causes matting.
- Avoid brushing and combing your hair while it’s dry, as this causes frizzy hair and tangling.
Straight or naturally wavy hair
- Wet your hair completely and apply a moisturizing conditioner. Brush your hair afterward, starting with your ends up to your scalp. Rinse well and air-dry.
- Brush or comb your hair for styling.
- You can use an alcohol-free hair serum as needed to have your hair shine better.
- Before bedtime, you can braid your hair loosely then wear a bonnet or satin scarf. When you wake up, undo your braid and use a wide-tooth comb to comb out your hair, styling it as desired.
Cambodian or Lao waves
- Only use conditioner once a week and don’t massage the hair. Rinse your hair first and use moisture conditioner, combing your hair from the ends to the scalp. Rinse it thoroughly and allow it to air-dry.
- If you want more waves, you can set your hair in rollers.
- Like loose or soft kinks, you can brush or comb your hair to style and use an alcohol-free serum to keep it shiny.
Wrapping It Up
Be sure to keep these tips in mind when caring for your virgin hair extensions. You can also ask your hairstylist for further advice, depending on your unique situation!